MY LIFE WITH A 10 YEAR OLD AND MY OBSESSIONS....SEWING and KNITTING!

Friday, September 12, 2008

Instant Gratification


I love knitting, but it's such a slow process for me. It seems that it takes me such a long time to produce a garment.

Sewing on the other hand is instant gratification. I love that I can have a new outfit in a day or two. Since I have started sewing again I have been concentrating more on quality than quantity, but I can still whip out a TNT skirt in a day, and a TNT blouse in a couple of days.

With both my sewing and knitting I have been trying to be more thoughtful about my choices. I know what looks good on me and what doesn't. I'm not knitting or sewing the latest trend anymore just because everybody else is. I'm also more realistic about my clothing. First and foremost I am a mom, and my clothes need to be easy, multi-functional, and wash & wear. I work in a very casual environment so the mom clothes translate pretty well. I don't have the time or energy to have a work wardrobe and a mom wardrobe.

So........here's the latest addition to my mom wardrobe. I started the skirt last weekend and got everything done except the waist and hem, but then I got side-tracked by the other skirt that I wanted to wear yesterday! I finished this one last night. It's a 6 oz. denim from Fabric.com that I've had in the stash for a while. You can't really see but I double top stitched the seams and hem with white thread. A friend of mine had a similiar skirt that I tried to copy. It's a nice weight denim and really comfortable.

The blouse is once again one that I made before my trip. I bought the fabric from Fashion Fabrics Club. They were not related fabrics and I just kept my fingers crossed that they would match.....and they do! It's one of my favorite blouses and I always get a lot of compliments when I wear it.

I don't know what's next on the sewing front. I have a Teacher's Installation Service at my church/preschool next weekend and I'd like to have new outfit for it, but I don't know what it will be.

2 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree fully on the knitting/sewing front. I wish knitting was an instant gratification like sewing. I am waiting to collect my overlocker so I can get more sewing done. I havent really done any for over a year.

Love what you have been making too! Make me jealous that I cant get into any at the moment.

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Weaveron Textile said...

Great dress and yes, a lovely photo spot for you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home